k100

 
 

got the bike

Picked up a used 1989 BMW K100. I’ve been wanting to learn how to do vacuum forming of carbon fiber by resin-infusion for some time, and thought this would be a fun project

_DSC5940.JPG

First things first, stripping it down

IMG_20170109_092300.jpg
IMG_20170118_192256.jpg

Found some carbon fiber tubing on Amazon. Not strong enough to be a handlebar, but sleeved over an aluminum bar it works.

IMG_20170121_155708.jpg

3d printed new instrument cluster. Relocated guages, and picked up a GPS speedo.

_DSC6101.JPG

Much needed new headlight

IMG_20170121_160026.jpg
IMG_20170128_093120.jpg

First carbon part, starting small. I modeled and 3d printed a mold for the clutch cover and went for it.

IMG_20170128_114813.jpg

Pulling vacuum, pretty easy on this small of a part

IMG_20170128_180320.jpg
IMG_20170129_114631.jpg

a little sanding and finishing, and it turned out alright

IMG_20170201_190327.jpg

mocking up where I wanted the seat and cowl to be with cardboard before cutting the frame

IMG_20170220_111358.jpg

bye bye frame

IMG_20170307_062803.jpg

3d printed rear cowl which is also where I’ll hide the battery

IMG_20170326_111014.jpg

for the seat panel, decided to just drape and cut to size. no vacuum needed here

IMG_20170326_130827.jpg
IMG_20170921_175153.jpg

picked up a lightweight Ballistic battery to fit under the new cowl

IMG_20170402_055337.jpg

side cover. A bit larger, but not too bad holding a vacuum. Ended up using the original cover, and left it in there, so essentially this is just wrapped.

IMG_20170420_092807.jpg

Now for the gas tank…

IMG_20170420_110233.jpg

had to chase leaks around the gum tape forever. Very hard to keep vacuum on. Also the cap I used to seal off the tank volume didn’t work well. Ended up with some ripples.

IMG_20170514_133823.jpg

cleaned up decently, but a bit rougher than I was going for. Rear cowl wrapped as well

IMG_20170514_133859.jpg

picked up some carbon fiber looking BMW logos that matched well

IMG_20170603_164722.jpg
IMG_20170603_164812.jpg
IMG_20170603_164831.jpg
IMG_20170615_101732.jpg

Ended up going bigger on the seat than I originally planned out of comfort necessity. The smaller options I tried were unbearable for any significant distance

IMG_20170615_101812.jpg
_DSC6174.JPG
_DSC6181.JPG
_DSC6186.JPG
_DSC6190.JPG

got the instrument cluster panel laser cut from aluminum. Also picked up a hydro-dip kit from Amazon and dipped the triple tree and gas cap

IMG_20170917_145510.jpg

more hydro dip fun on the clutch cover. custom welded short exhaust

IMG_20170917_173157.jpg

ended up opening the insides a bit more to clean it up. Relocated the water reservoir using a smaller bottle, and changed the air filter to come directly off of the flow meter. 3d printed adapter to relocate AFM.

IMG_20171231_114801.jpg
_DSC6293.JPG
_DSC6259.JPG